Darren is a founding partner of Lombard & Geliebter LLP with over 15 years of experience in intellectual property litigation and protection. He represents clients in connection with the protection, enforcement, clearance and licensing of trademarks and patents both domestically and globally.
Darren’s expertise in intellectual property law includes prosecuting and managing domestic and international trademark and patent portfolios, trademark clearance, oppositions and cancellations before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, trademark, patent and related IP and business litigation in the federal courts (including being admitted pro hac vice in the Eastern District of Texas), and domain name disputes, including UDRP and ACPA actions.
Darren represents clients of all sizes, including multinational pharmaceutical companies, market-leading electronic component manufacturers, food and beverage producers, and global brands, while never losing the ability to adapt and relate to the needs of smaller companies and start-ups.
Darren’s focused expertise and ability to see things from the client’s point-of-view allows him to devise effective strategies that meet his clients’ specific needs, whether it be the negotiation of a trademark or copyright licensing agreement, designing and executing an international trademark protection and enforcement program that bolsters the client’s business goals, negotiating a settlement or coexistence agreement to his clients’ strategic advantage, or initiating a patent infringement lawsuit in a strategically beneficial forum.
Darren is active in the trademark bar, having served his two terms on the International Trademark Association’s Trademark Office Practices committee (U.S.P.T.O. Subcommittee), and currently serving his first term on the International Trademark Association’s Trademark Policy Advocacy Committee, Enforcement Subcommittee.
He is a frequent speaker on trademark, IP, and Internet-related legal issues.
- Featured speaker at the New York City Bar’s “Bridge-The-Gap” Program entitled “The Nuts and Bolts of Trademark Law” in 2008
- Lectures on trademark law for the FastTrac GrowthVenture and NewVenture programs at the Levin Institute in New York City.
- Darren led a panel presentation entitled “Pharmaceutical Trademark: Legal & Regulatory Considerations” at the New York Biotechnology Associations’ 2011 Annual Meeting at the New York Marriot Marquis Hotel with L&G partner G. Mathew Lombard and Dorothy Linvell-Neal, Head of Global Trademark Development at Janssen Global Services, LLC The Pharmaceutical Companies Division of Johnson & Johnson.
- Darren led a panel presentation entitled “IP for Startups: The Basics” for the Columbia Business School Alumni Club of New York at Condé Nast in 2013.
- Darren and L&G attorneys were featured panelists for “IP For Start-Ups & Innovators” hosted by the Columbia Business School Alumni Club of New York, Wells Fargo and ingk labs.
- Geotag Inc. v. Burberry Limited, No. 2:12-cv-00443 (E.D. Texas) (Represented Burberry Ltd. in this complex patent litigation defending against prolific patent troll; case involved alleged infringement of patent purported to cover store locator technology used on websites)
- Geotag Inc. v. Donna Karan Int’l, Inc., No. 2:12-cv-00457 (E.D. Texas) (Represented Donna Karan Int’l in this patent litigation defending against prolific patent troll)
- Createthe Group, Inc. v. GeoTag Inc., No. 13-cv-3615 (S.D.N.Y.) (Represented Createthe Group in this Declaratory Judgment Action of non infringement and invalidity of Patent against patent troll)
- Desly, et al. v. Spartak (E.D.N.Y.), 13-cv-2303 (E.D.N.Y.) (Represent manufacturer and distributor of Spartak-branded confectionaries in the U.S. against Belarusian factory for claims of trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, breach of contract, and related claims)
- Zany Toys, LLC v. Pearl Enterprises, LLC, 13-cv-5262 (District Ct., NJ) (Represent plaintiff, manufacturer of popular, nationally-recognized consumer item, in action for trademark infringement and related claims)
- IP Power Holdings Ltd v. Sears Holdings Corp., 13-cv-6081 (S.D.N.Y.) (Successfully represented plaintiff in patent infringement claim in connection with patent for cross-member supporter for foldable furniture)
- Long Corner v. Yifang USA, 14-cv-0363 (E.D. Texas) (Successfully resolved patent infringement case involving a system, device and method for extending a stroke of a computer pointing device)
- LiDestri Foods, Inc. v. Francesco’s Hole in the Wall, No. 14-cv-7341 (S.D.N.Y.) (Represent plaintiff, owner of globally-famous Francesco Rinaldi-brand pasta sauces in this trademark infringement action; motion for preliminary injunctive relief has led to removal of all infringing goods from the marketplace and successful resolution to dispute)
- Galderma S.A. et al v. Laderma Health USA, Inc., No. 11-cv-0222 (S.D.N.Y.) (Successfully moved for a preliminary injunction on behalf of Galderma to prevent infringement of its globally-famous pharmaceutical company trademark)
- Sunrise Sun-Ripened Tomatoes, Inc. v. Bostonia Produce, Inc. et al, (E.D.N.Y.) No. 12-cv-1877 (Represented plaintiff, owner of LUCKY’S trademark, successfully stopping infringement of its trademark)
- Rica Apparel v. Seal Trademarks, No. 11-cv-5900 (E.D.N.Y.) (Represented plaintiff in this Declaratory Judgment Action of non infringement of trademark; Secured successful resolution for client)
- Aventis Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. Heal the World, 11-cv-9489 (S.D.N.Y.) (Successful action on behalf of global pharmaceutical company for trademark infringement and related claims in connection with its famous NASACORT mark)
- Early Learling v. Community Products LLC, 09-cv-6343 (District Ct., NJ) (Successfully settled patent infringement case involving chair design)
- Roth Capital Partners, LLC v. Hotels At Home, Inc., 06-cv-3101 (District Ct., NJ) (Domain name dispute and action under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act led to successful acquisition of domain name on behalf of prominent investment bank)
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law (1996)
- B.A., Hofstra University (1992)
- Winner of New York Enterprise Report’s 2011 award for Best Attorneys for Growing Businesses in the Intellectual Property category.
- Selected to 2014 Super Lawyers List in recognition for excellence in the practice of Intellectual Property law
- Selected as finalist for 2015 SmartCEO’s CPA & ESQ Awards
- Selected to 2015 Super Lawyers List in recognition for excellence in the practice of Intellectual Property law
Darren M. Geliebter